Complete System Freeze when log out of X session

Robert Noland rnoland at 2hip.net
Sat Aug 9 21:29:35 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 20:12 +0200, Rene Ladan wrote:
> vangogh schreef:
> > My laptop has xorg 7.3 on Freebsd 7.
> > My xorg.conf file has:
> > Section "Device"
> >    Identifier "card0"
> >    Driver "vesa"
> >    VendorName "S3 Inc"
> >    BoardName "VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266]"
> >    BusID   "PCI:1:0:0"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Problem is when I log out of gnome my system freezes completely and
> > control+alt+backspace does not work. The keyboard becomes totally
> > unresponsive and i must unplug the system to turn it off. I have
> > searched this problem and seen that posts appear in the archives back in
> > 2006 about this issue. However, I cannot find any solution. Can someone
> > please point me in the right direction for a solution to this please?
> >
> This sounds slightly familiar.  I sometimes have these freezes too,
> but when I'm still in xfce4.  Pressing the power knob still works for me,
> as well as logging in remotely via ssh.  This means that only the screen
> (which turns black, no backlight on) and keyboard/mouse are frozen.
>
> This is with an Asus A6JE, Ati Radeon X1450 running xorg 7.3 with
> xf86-video-radeonhd 1.2.1.

This sounds more like a gpu crash, or a deadlock in the xserver.  So, I
don't think that these two cases are the same.  Since you can ssh in,
have a look at top while it's hung and see what state the xorg process
is in.  If it is in drmlk2, it's locked.  If that looks ok, then it's
probably a gpu crash, if you set sysctl hw.dri.0.debug=1 you will
probably see a lot of radeon_cp_idle and timeout calls.

robert.