Complete System Freeze when log out of X session

Rene Ladan r.c.ladan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 18:41:22 UTC 2008

vangogh schreef:
> My laptop has xorg 7.3 on Freebsd 7.
> My xorg.conf file has:
> Section "Device"
>    Identifier "card0"
>    Driver "vesa"
>    VendorName "S3 Inc"
>    BoardName "VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266]"
>    BusID   "PCI:1:0:0"
> EndSection
>
> Problem is when I log out of gnome my system freezes completely and
> control+alt+backspace does not work. The keyboard becomes totally
> unresponsive and i must unplug the system to turn it off. I have
> searched this problem and seen that posts appear in the archives back in
> 2006 about this issue. However, I cannot find any solution. Can someone
> please point me in the right direction for a solution to this please?

This sounds slightly familiar.  I sometimes have these freezes too,
but when I'm still in xfce4.  Pressing the power knob still works for me,
as well as logging in remotely via ssh.  This means that only the screen
(which turns black, no backlight on) and keyboard/mouse are frozen.

This is with an Asus A6JE, Ati Radeon X1450 running xorg 7.3 with
xf86-video-radeonhd 1.2.1.

HTH,
Rene
--
http://www.rene-ladan.nl/

GPG fingerprint = E738 5471 D185 7013 0EE0  4FC8 3C1D 6F83 12E1 84F6 (subkeys.pgp.net)