Radeon DRI Problems after latest X.org 7.3 update

Adam K Kirchhoff adamk at voicenet.com
Tue Sep 18 09:19:34 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 12:02 -0400, Coleman Kane wrote:
> Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
> > I've seen two issues with 7.3.0, though neither are what you described:
> >
> > 1) http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2007-September/005205.html (which I also saw with xorg 7.2)
> >
> > 2) http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2007-September/005213.html
> >
> > I'm wondering your just experiencing different symptoms for problem number 1.
> >
> Adam,
>
> I saw this, and thought that it might be related. It's really difficult
> to tell. In 7.2 (w/ ati driver 6.6.3) I was able to use compiz and
> almost all GLX stuff properly, direct or accelerated indirect mode.
> After I portupgraded to x.org 7.3 (server 1.4), all of my problems came
> up. I did build/install x11/xorg-server v1.4 before
> x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati v6.7.192 (you can't do it any other way). I
> did try downgrading back to xf86-video-ati v6.6.3 to see if the old
> version would still work under the new server, and then my X session
> just dies any time DRI is accessed (old driver not compatible w/ new
> server?).
>
> I also played with it some more and have found that EXA is completely
> unusable for me. Under the new server/driver combination, if I am using
> EXA (and no AIGLX composting manager) then I get the problem where when
> a window is undrawn (moved, minimized, resized, or I switch workspaces),
> it leaves a shadow behind it that is slightly lighter than the
> surrounding area. I can drag a window around the screen to "paint" this
> effect around my desktop. This is all happening with metacity (which I
> "downgraded" to after compiz became completely unusable).
>
> I've got a Radeon Mobility M10 aka Radeon 9550, using the rv350 chip.
>
> I played with the GLX effects further and discovered that I can't
> produce the full-screen-flicker effect on a screen-shot...

I'm not sure I can help you here.  I have not tried EXA since updating
to Xorg 7.3.  My previous experiences with EXA gave me the impression
that it was too slow to normal use.

AIGLX works fine here after rebuilding the mesa drivers.  compiz runs
flawlessly, in fact.  I did have an issue with my AGP x700 card locking
up when running compiz, but commenting out various options in the driver
section got it working again.  I haven't determined which option is
causing the lockups.  I didn't have any such lockups with my PCIe x850.
They are the only two cards I've tried 7.3 with (well, other than my
x1300's with the avivo and now the radeonhd drivers, but I won't bug the
list with those problems).

I can try EXA to see if I get the same problems, but I won't be able to
restart X for a while, unfortunately.

Adam