preliminary ATI R500/R600 driver available

Rene Ladan r.c.ladan at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 00:50:54 PDT 2007

Hi,

there is a preliminary driver available for ATI R500/R600 cards (aka
X1000 and higher) from the xorg git repository.  For my laptop (ASUS
A6JE running i386 8.0-CURRENT), which has a Radeon Mobility X1450 card
:

* panel works in native resolution (1280x800)
* DVI out works.  If I plug in a 1280x1024 monitor, I get 1280x800 on
both the panel and the monitor, but maybe my xorg.conf was wrongly
configured.
* VGA out works, but apparently only for monitors which support
reduced blanking.  Other monitors are detected and set up, but
xorg-server bails out at the last moment.

As this driver is under development, there is no support yet for TV
out or 2d/3d acceleration.

I could make a local copy of the git sources and spam the PR database
with daily updates (the developers seem to be off in the weekend) for
x11-drivers/xf86-video-radeonhd .

Users might want to subscribe to radeonhd(at)opensuse(dot)org
Interested?

Regards,
Rene
--
GPG fingerprint = E738 5471 D185 7013 0EE0  4FC8 3C1D 6F83 12E1 84F6
(subkeys.pgp.net)

"It won't fit on the line."
		-- me, 2001