Xorg-7.3_1 + Radeon XPress 200M + VT switch = white screen?

Matt Dawson matt at chronos.org.uk
Sun Nov 4 09:12:07 PST 2007

First off, thanks to all that replied. I think Robert's post comes closest to
defining the problem.

On Saturday 03 Nov 2007, Robert Noland wrote:
> I'll suggest that this is a problem with the mode setting in the current
> driver.  I also experience lockups, or screen corruption when switching
> back to VT with the released driver.  The driver from git seems to have
> already fixed this.

Thanks, Robert. As long as it's a known issue I'll wait for an update to the
xf86-video-ati port.

As an aside, this isn't just the usual lines, corrupt screen, fade to grey,
close the lid, switch VTs a few times and it goes type VT switching problem.
I've had this on this machine before, and switching back to X and then back
to the console once or twice usually forces it to behave itself. This is a
pure, honest-to-goodness white screen with no other artifacts which no amount
of switching back and to makes a difference to. It remains right up to
shutdown. In other words, once X has started, the console never displays a
character again until reboot.
--
Matt Dawson.

matt at chronos.org.uk