Xorg-7.3_1 + Radeon XPress 200M + VT switch = white screen?

Coleman Kane cokane at FreeBSD.org
Fri Nov 2 19:41:55 PDT 2007

Robert Noland wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 23:37 +0000, Matt Dawson wrote:
>
>> As subject, has anyone else come across this? X works fine (sans GL as the
>> 200M is one of those finicky IGP "cards" unsupported by DRI) but all attempts
>> to get VT switching to result in anything but a polar bear in a snowstorm
>> viewed through bed linen have proved futile. Typed commands into this white
>> wonderland work (I can login and shut the machine down).
>>
>> It's not a major issue as X works fine and I can, at a push, ssh into the box
>> if I really need to. If X doesn't start for whatever reason, the console is
>> fine. I did have VESA in the kernel, which I removed. Still the same result.
>>
>> Any ideas? A "me too" would be helpful as misery loves company ;-)
>>

> I'll suggest that this is a problem with the mode setting in the current
> driver.  I also experience lockups, or screen corruption when switching
> back to VT with the released driver.  The driver from git seems to have
> already fixed this.
>
> robert.

At some point, I used to experience this problem too, in various flavors
on my ATI Radeon Mobility M10 / Radeon 9550 / ATI rv350 laptop card.
Usually when it happens, I can switch back to X, and then back to the VT
again and it gets fixed the second or third try. It's been around since
the r300 driver was brought into DRI.

--
Coleman Kane