xorg7.3 [was: 7.0 preview slides]

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Sat Nov 3 22:01:03 PDT 2007

On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 03:41:32PM -0500, Scott T. Hildreth wrote:
> I understand Xorg is changing their code to be modular, but was it
> necessary to update the ports to 7.3 so quickly?   It may be my
> perception, but it seemed like 7.2 was put in the ports tree and
> shortly after that 7.3 was committed and then many problems started.

The situation was that our import of 7.2 was delayed as we tested and
retested and retested, to get the framework working for the modular
code and ensure as few regressions as possible.  Because of this, 7.3
was almost ready for release by the time we were done.

It seems as though 7.3 is better for some people and worse for others.
With such a large codebase, this is probably inevitable.

In any case, as soon as 7.3 was out, I'm sure xorg lost interest in
bug reports about 7.2, and people were already asking us when the
next version was going to be in.

mcl