7.0 preview slides

Scott T. Hildreth shild at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 3 14:37:35 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 22:37 -0400, Coleman Kane wrote:
> Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:

> >> Egad! Anything but switching back to X.org 7.2! I have much better
> >> support on my new system under 7.3 than I did 7.2 with my ATI rv350.
> >> Following the x11 list, it seems that these issues are being resolved.
> >> The initial switch to 7.3 brought in a broken ati driver for me, but
> >> working with the x11 list and the fd.org guys (as well as others with
> >> similar trouble), we managed to get the newer patches released in a new
> >> driver version and an updated port.
> >>

> > No doubt, methinks no one is going to rollback to 7.2.  The point is
> > that 7.3 is so buggy that either immediate remedy patches or (sadly)
> > corresponding ERRATA notes are desperately needed.  X on any FreeBSD
> > release must be on a decent level if we see ourselves anywhere near
> > consumer level.
> >
> > ./danfe
> >
> Are we tracking the "bugginess" of X.org 7.3 anywhere (other than on the
> mailing list)? I think perhaps the ModularXorg wiki at:
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/ModularXorg could be revived to track "hot
> spots". It is very unlikely that there is a general and widespread
> bugginess in all X.org 7.3 modules. It seems more likely that this could
> be narrowed down to some specific "hot-spots", or a minority of modules
> that need to get some of their bugs fixed. From my interpretation of
> many the complaints on the list, much of this sounds like a number of
> the video drivers, specifically many people are still using the -i810
> driver and the -intel driver may not be completely polished yet, there
> seems to be some problems with the mga driver as well as the nv driver.
> The -ati driver was buggy at the first release, but many of those seem
> to be cleaned up now. I think we need much finer grained analysis of the
> root causes of the problems, rather than "X.org 7.3 is kinda borked!".
>
> I'm copying x11@ because this is really starting to pertain to them too.

 I understand Xorg is changing their code to be modular, but was it
necessary to update the ports to 7.3 so quickly?   It may be my
perception, but it seemed like 7.2 was put in the ports tree and shortly
after that 7.3 was committed and then many problems started.  I am not
complaining, I just wondering if there was a feature that required 7.3
to be put in ports before more testing could be done.  Anyways, seems
like all the "bugginess" is being resolved.