intel driver, modular xorg, is /dev/agpgart really needed?

Kevin Downey redchin at gmail.com
Fri May 18 18:59:12 UTC 2007

from pciconf -lv
vgapci0 at pci0:2:0:       class=0x030000 card=0x514d8086 chip=0x29a28086
rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = 'G965 Integrated Graphics Controller'
    class      = display
    subclass   = VGA

using the ports tarball from http://wiki.freebsd.org/ModularXorg I
have installed Xorg 7.2 on a fresh system. The system has the above
mentioned onboard video chip. I have been playing around with the
'i810' and the 'intel'(not in ports) driver.  I keep seeing this:

(EE) GARTInit: Unable to open /dev/agpgart (No such file or directory)
(WW) intel(0): /dev/agpgart is either not available, or no memory is available

I do have agp compiled into my kernel. I don't have an agp bus on the
board. I am not sure why the driver is looking for one.

--
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has
occurred." G. B. Shaw