Window size & xterm-227

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Sat Jul 21 15:17:15 UTC 2007

I'm in the habit of updating the installed ports on my laptop daily.

Usually, this works well.

A couple of days ago, though -- after updating xterm to xterm-227
-- I noticed that vi(1) was behaving strangely.

In particular, when I created an xterm that was other than 80x24 and
proceeded to try to edit a file with long lines, vi would act as if the
window were only 80 characters wide ... until I re-sized the window to
some other size.  (Resizing back to the original size I used still
allowed it to work.)

Basically, xterm seems to be acting as if the initial size it reports to
applications is 80x24 until a resize operation takes place, at which
point the  proper size is used -- regardless of the original dimensions
of the window.

This differs from the behavior I've seen & expected for some 15 years.

Is anyone else seeing this?  Anyone have a fix or circumvention, or
should I file a PR?

(I'm not subscribed to -x11@, so I've set Reply-To to a suggested set of
addresses.)

Thanks!

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Anything and everything is a (potential) cat toy.