nv problems on AMD64 6.1-RELEASE

Chris Radlinski radlinskic at acm.org
Tue Jan 2 17:49:24 PST 2007

Here's my rig:

Athlon 4600+ x2
4 GB DDR400
Biostar K8T890-A9 motherboard
Biostar V6202EL16 GeForce 6200 LE PCIE card

I installed FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE 64-bit with Xorg 6.9.0 running Gnome. If
I load the nv driver, things run OK for a while but inevitably freeze
up. My mouse still works but the rest of the desktop is unresponsive. I
can ssh from another machine and see that Xorg is eating up 100% of one
of my cores. I'm having exactly the same problem that this guy
(http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2006-March/013478.html)
reported in March. I don't have this problem with the vesa driver.

Is this a known bug? If so, has there been any progress fixing it? What
can I do to help debug this problem?

Thanks.