pkgdb vs modular xorg

Russell Jackson raj at csub.edu
Mon Dec 11 14:48:36 PST 2006

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 02:38:00PM -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> Phillip Neumann wrote:
> > This problem is mostly visible when having Gnome/xorg modular installed,
> > as if so, a buch of ports are getting installed.
> >
> > I think the ports/package managment in FreeBSD is not very scalable in
> > this sense. This has nothing to do with xorg.
> >
> > Maybe this motivates some change in the port system. Working with
> > ~20'000 software is not very easy.
>
> I reported this problem on ports@ about a week ago.  The recent change
> to portupgrade drastically slowed down pkgdb.  My post even included a
> hackaround.  sem@ said he'd investigate, but never got around to it, I
> guess.

I wasn't trying to imply that xorg caused it directly; I just didn't
notice the problem until after the number of packages exploded as an
indirect consequence of moving to modular xorg. I have only a very
minimal set of gnome related packages installed since I don't use the
gnome desktop.

At any rate, I guess this is a known problem and not becaused I hosed my
pkgdb :-P. I'll look in freebsd-ports for Joe's post.

Thanks,
--
Russell A. Jackson <raj at csub.edu>
Network Analyst