X troubles (possibly radeon related)

Albert Vest alvest at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 8 20:15:20 UTC 2006

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 12:58:40 -0700 (PDT)
Fred Cox <sailorfred at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Several people have reported problems with X.org 6.9
> and Radeon X300, which were "solved" by going back to
> 6.8.2.  This includes total machine lockup with the
> default vga driver as well as various ati and radeon
> drivers.
>
> Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any visible
> action on the problem.  I get no response when I email
> the Xorg maintainer.
>
> I don't think they want to believe they've broken
> something.  They want to blame the drivers.

They may not be entirely wrong there.  Before the 6.9 ports upgrade, there were some changes in the /src/sys/dev/drm code about mid-December 2005.  I had DRI working with my X300 before then (9100 IGP, onboard; mobo only has one expansion slot which is vanilla PCI so it's my only graphics option), but after rebuilding system & kernel+modules, it stopped working again.

--
Albert Vest, al vest at earth link dot net