X troubles (possibly radeon related)

Jason Morgan jwm-freebsd-xll at sentinelchicken.net
Sat Apr 8 15:25:20 UTC 2006

Greetings.

I have been struggling off-and-on with my laptop for a few weeks now,
trying to get x11 to function correctly. Below are the details of my
system and the errors I am getting (I hope you don't mind all of the
detail).

# uname -a
FreeBSD sofie.sentinelchicken.net 6.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE
#25: Fri Apr  7 00:38:30 UTC 2006
root at sofie.sentinelchicken.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SOFIE amd64

# more /etc/X11/xorg.conf
[snip]
Section "Module"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "dri"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "xtrap"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "type1"
EndSection

[...]

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "radeon"
        VendorName  "ATI Technologies Inc"
        BoardName   "ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M 5955 (PCIE)"
        BusID       "PCI:1:5:0"
        Option      "BusType"                   "PCIE"
EndSection
[snip]

>From the Xorg logs:

# more Xorg.0.log
[snip]

drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such file or directory)
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such file or directory)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such file or directory)
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such file or directory)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
[drm] failed to load kernel module "radeon"
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] drmOpen failed
(EE) RADEON(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed.  Disabling DRI.

[snip]

I am loading the agp and drm kernel modules from /boot/loader.conf. I
had them compiled into the kernel, but the same problems occured.

#kldstat
Id Refs Address            Size     Name
 1   11 0xffffffff80100000 65b870   kernel
 2    1 0xffffffff8075c000 60e0     snd_atiixp.ko
 3    2 0xffffffff80763000 34770    sound.ko
 4    2 0xffffffff80798000 9db0     agp.ko
 5    1 0xffffffff807a2000 2b178    radeon.ko
 6    2 0xffffffff807ce000 1a090    drm.ko
 7    1 0xffffffff807e9000 37f0     wlan_tkip.ko

>From the terminal when loading:

[drm] failed to load kernel module "radeon"
(EE) RADEON(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed.  Disabling DRI.
/usr/X11R6/bin/startxfce4: X server already running on display :0

Now, I can disable DRI, but that doesn't solve all of my trouble.
Basically, the most annoying symptom of my problems is the fact that my
'desktop' (I have no better description, sorry) doesn't work. While I
can use the XFCE panel, if I right-click on the background, nothing
happens. I have no background image, as I should, and instead have the
default black and white X checkered pattern. I have tried using the vesa
driver, but get a lot of screen tearing and color issues and the
'desktop' still doesn't fuction. I have tried the dri, dri-devel, and
linux_dri because, at first, I thought it was a dri issue. Apparently
it's not. After recompiling absolutely everything, trying blackbox
instead of XFCE4, and any number of module loading/kernel compiling
options, I am at a complete loss.

I would appreciate any advice that can be offered.

Cheers,
~Jason