XFree86 4.4 port ??

Tilman Linneweh arved at freebsd.org
Fri May 21 10:48:04 PDT 2004

* Michael Nottebrock [2004-05-21 19:26]:
> > > I appreciate the great work that has been done lately to support the
> > > X.org server, but I recall there was a working port of Xfree86 4.4. Any
> > > *technical* reason why it hasn't been committed?
> >
> > Hi, thanks for raising this discussion, From my testing, I think there
> > are no technical reasons, that it can not be committed within 24 hours.
>
> I do think that having one X11 server(+libraries) in ports instead of two
> (which on top of all else share lots of code and will make it supereasy for
> users to get messy, mixed installations) is a good thing - and that one
> package should be X.org - for technical reasons.

Yeah, I 100% agree, ofcourse the XFree86-server update can wait,
until the switch happend and upgrading the non-default Xfree86 Xserver is less
problematic then.  But since the x.org aren't ready yet, we might as well
do it the other way around, and do the switch later.

The question is, how large is the need for a 4.4-server now. AFAIK
people with via(4)-hardware and new Radeon cards, are the only ones that
need it (..and I am lucky having two affected machines)

regards
tilman