XFree86/X.org - ATI Rage Mobility - drivers

Marek Kozłowski kozlowsm at mini.pw.edu.pl
Tue Dec 7 01:56:11 PST 2004

:-)
FreeBSD 4.10 on Dell Latitude with ATI Rage Mibility
Unfortunately, when using latest versions of both ports with 'ati'
driver I have my screen 'moved' about 1cm to the top (unfortunately
there is a 12" monitor in that notebook). Any changes in the config
files didn't help. I didn't experience that problem with previous
versions of XFree86.
Any help. please?

So I decided to use 'vesa' driver. It works fine with X.org but under
XFree86 I've noticed a few 'hard' hung-ups (especially when killing X
server or switching Ctrl-Alt-Fx). The only solution was to unpower the
computer - a few bad-sectors occured after that.. I 'haven't experience
such crashes even under M$-Windows!

I'm afraid those are the most unstable ports ever... Any chance for
newer, working ones?

BTW: Could anyone explain to me why the is no version of X.org over 6.7?
at the www.X.org I can see 6.8.1..? Maybe it works fine?

Best regards,
Marek