Removal of old/outdated files from www.FreeBSD.org site

Simon L. B. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jul 29 09:29:32 UTC 2012

On 29 Jul 2012, at 08:43, Hiroki Sato wrote:

> Glen Barber <gjb at FreeBSD.org> wrote
>  in <20120729055742.GC1693 at glenbarber.us>:
>
> gj>  o make changes to a chapter, rebuild the doc tree
> gj>  o make changes to a different section, rebuild the tree
> gj>  o run 'make clean', and xNNNN.html file from first change is not
> gj>    removed
> gj>
> gj> It has been highly inconsistently reproducible for me.
>
> The xNNNN.html files can be left if building a doc, adding a new
> section to it, and rebuilding it, and then doing "make clean".
> Normally all of the generated *.html files including xNNNN.html are
> listed in HTML.manifest and "make clean" removes files in that file.
> However, adding a new section can change the name of xNNNN.html files
> and the successive rebuild overwrites HTML.manifest.
>
> The right way to solve this is adding section ids wherever
> applicable.  I do not think we need to change the webupdate script
> once we remove the old files.

I think we should still. It's not just a problem for xNNNNN.html file, but also removed sections and renamed sections. E.g. we did recently have a case where in the handbook there was a stale install chapter etc. because the section had been renamed. Old files will accumulate if we cannot automatically remove them.

--
Simon L. B. Nielsen