www/107291: Keyboard accessibility sabotaged by www/share/sgml/header.ent

Eric P. Scott eps+pbug0612 at ana.com
Thu Dec 28 11:10:22 PST 2006

>Number:         107291
>Category:       www
>Synopsis:       Keyboard accessibility sabotaged by www/share/sgml/header.ent
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
When viewing the FreeBSD web site using a modern [Gecko-based]
browser, landing on the Text Size: Normal via any sort of
keyboard navigation renders the keyboard nearly useless; it is
impossible to move forward or backward, to search, quit the
browser, or even just close the current tab (it's still possible
to switch to other tabs, however).  It becomes necessary to use
the mouse to regain control.
>How-To-Repeat:
Press the Tab key repeatedly, or use any sort of "find as you
type" setting that will cause focus to land on "Normal"
>Fix:
1) Remove onkeypress="return false;" from anchors under SEARCHNAVLIST
  -or-
2) Ensure JavaScript is disabled when viewing the FreeBSD web site

I think the whole Text Size: thing is ill-conceived and should go
away.  Most browsers offer convenient ways for users to adjust
text display to their liking.  You shouldn't be competing with,
or trying to subvert that functionality.

I'm bothered by the site using cookies.  I find it particularly
annoying that cookie setting is triggered by window unload
events, and that cookies are being explicitly set even when no
state change has occurred.  [styleswitcher.js]