Atheros AR9462 not working properly

Adrian Chadd adrian.chadd at gmail.com
Fri May 14 17:40:24 UTC 2021

hi!

On Fri, 14 May 2021 at 03:25, Daniel Cervus <DanieltheDeer at outlook.com> wrote:

> (a) When unconnected:
> wlan0: flags=8c43<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,OACTIVE,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
> ether ***
> inet6 ***%wlan0 prefixlen 64 scopeif 0x3
> groups: wlan
> ssid "" channel 3 (2422 MHz 11g)
> regdomain ROW country CN indoor ecm authmode OPEN privacy OFF
> txpower 30 bmiss 7 scanvalid 60 protmode CTS wme burst
> parent interface: ath0
> media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (autoselect)
> status: no carrier
> nd6 options=23<PERFORMNUD,ACCEPT_RTADV,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
>
> Connected to my iPhone hotspot:
> wlan0:
> flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
> ether ***
> inet6 ***%wlan0 prefixlen 64 scopeif 0x3
> inet6 *** prefixlen 64 autoconf
> inet 172.20.10.11 netmask 0xfffffff0 broadcast 172.20.10.15
> groups: wlan
> ssid "My iPhone" channel 6 (2437 Mhz 11g ht/20) bssid ***
> regdomain ROW country CN indoor ecm authmode WAP2/802.11i privacy ON
> deftxkey UNDEF AES-CCM 2:128-bit txpower 30 bmiss 7 scanvalid 60
> protmode CTS ampdulimit 64k ampdudensity 8 shortgi -uapsd wme burst
> roaming MANUAL
> parent interface: ath0
> media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet MCS mode 11ng
> status: associated
> nd6 options=23<PERFORMNUD,ACCEPT_RTADV,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
>
> I see that, thank you. And another interesting thing is when I use “ifconfig wlan0 scan”, all the networks’ rate showing are 54M, is that another bug?

That's just a side effect of wifi and how net80211 tools were built.

The 54MB is the non-11n rate announce. Now, for greenfield 11n, I
think it'll show something faster, but for normal 802.11 deployments
that support 11abg as well as 11n, 11ac, etc - 54M is how fast the
11abg side of things can run.

If you read the manpage and look at the flags, you'll see "11n" is a
flag (H) in the flags section.

> (b) What’s more, I cannot select “network options” and scan Wi-Fis in it.
> Has anyone reported this bug? Do I need to do that?

In bsdconfig? That's not cool. Yeah, please file a bug.

> (c)&(d) That’s pretty annoying, can I suppress these messages?

I'm going to eventually push some logging changes to stop it showing
up on the kernel console. So just stay tuned.

> (e) A new bug? If the SSID contains Unicode characters, it seems I’m unable to connect as well. Ifconfig wlan0 scan only outputs an incomplete hexadecimal value of it.

I think that's just a shortcoming from ifconfig, but wpa_supplicant
should support unicode? Hm. I'm not sure, I've never used unicode AP
characters here!

-adrian