iwm(8) Intel 7260 problems

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Fri May 14 15:22:27 UTC 2021

  I'm using laptop with Intel 7260, and I have two problems (on 13-RELEASE and 14-CURRENT) system.

  First cosmetic one: there are 3 variants of 7260 adapters [1], [2] and [3], which support very different feature set, but driver always reports simple "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless AC 7260" which is misleading! I've spent about a hour to understand why I can not connect to 5Ghz network with "Dual Band" adapter. My variant is single-band, but it is not obvious!

  Second is more serious: looks like with FreeBSD driver this adapter is very very "Weak". Yes, my 2.4Ghz band is very crowded, but Windows able to sustain 18-36Mbit/s connection, when FreeBSD could start from 36Mbit/s after cold boot, but degrade to DS/1Mbps very fast and never recovers, even if I place laptop near AP (2-3 meters, LOS). It makes wireless connection almost useless :-(

[1] https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/75174/intel-wireless-n-7260.html
[2] https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/75440/intel-dual-band-wireless-n-7260.html
[3] https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/75439/intel-dual-band-wireless-ac-7260.html

--