Ath works as module, not inkernel

richo richo at psych0tik.net
Mon Aug 1 15:39:50 UTC 2011

On 01/08/11 23:30 +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>.. it should've produced output in dmesg.
>
>Also try adding:
>
>dev.ath.0.hal.debug=0x4
>
>See if that helps?

I'll try that in a moment

>Also, how the hell are you able to load a module for ath/hal if it's
>compiled into your kernel? or is it failing to load it early on in the
>single user boot, but then fine to load it in later?

I'm 99% sure that this kernel was built without ath support built in and it's
the load_if_ath and load_if_ath_pci lines in loader.conf that is causing it
to load at some point later?

We might be at cross purposes, I'm guessing from your question that dmesg is
suggesting that support is built in?

When I've tried to load a module that's already in the kernel in the past it
gives a xxxxx is already in kernel.kld (or something along those lines, the
exact message escapes me).

The behavior from the user standpoint is that it attempts to load the correct
modules at boot time and fails in some way, once the system has come up
multiuser, I am able to unload the modules and then load them manually, at
which point the nic comes up and functions normally.

I hope this clears things up, I'll post the new dmesg shortly (I just started
a stack of ports updating so I'll wait till that finishes)

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it

rich

--
richo || Today's excuse:

User was distributing pornography on server; system seized by FBI.