FreeBSD/Xen suspend/resume

Uni Gaia unigaia at fastmail.jp
Mon Jan 21 06:37:38 UTC 2019

On 1/20/19 11:21 AM, Pratyush Yadav wrote:
> Hey Uni,
>
> On 1/19/2019 4:59 AM, Uni Gaia wrote:
>> Does anyone know if suspend/resume works for a FreeBSD/Xen dom0 ? domU?
>
> I'm guessing by suspend/resume you mean xl save and xl restore. They
> work for FreeBSD domU (with Linux dom0), tested on 13-CURRENT r342020.
> I have not tested for FreeBSD as dom0 because I do not have it set up.

I am sorry, perhaps it wasn't clear enough.

I mean the domU successfully restoring (and obviously, suspending
properly in the first place) upon a dom0 suspend/resume cycle.

For instance, with QubesOS, which is Linux/Xen based, all virtual
machines resume working normally after suspending and resuming the machine.

I am considering FreeBSD for a home project, and it requires
virtualization (jails not enough).

Because it makes no sense to keep the machine on 24/7 in this scenario,
and because it would be cumbersome to shutdown the machine every night,
I am looking for the possibility of suspending/resuming.

I know this works with a Linux dom0 and at least Linux domUs.

My preference is FreeBSD dom0 and domUs.

But if FreeBSD dom0 fails to suspend/resume and domUs work, I might
consider (reluctantly) Linux for the dom0 role.