The status of docker

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Fri Feb 1 21:12:27 UTC 2019

On 2/1/19 1:07 PM, Grzegorz Junka wrote:

> On 01/02/2019 19:49, Pete Wright wrote:

>>> There is a misunderstanding. I am not trying to solve any problem.
>>> The team I am working with is using docker during development (by
>>> using a preconfigured container they avoid having to setup a complex
>>> backend system on development/CI machines). I was hoping to use
>>> FreeBSD during the development but it proved difficult. I now have a
>>> choice of either switching to Linux natively (as bhyve didn't help)
>>> or to use MacBook Pro - both supporting docker out of the box.
>>
>> might be worth taking a look at hashicorp Vagrant.  i've used it with
>> success in developer workflows  in the past where most devs were on
>> macOS and we were targeting FreeBSD.
>>
>> https://www.vagrantup.com/intro/index.html
>> https://app.vagrantup.com/freebsd/
>>

>> IMHO docker on macOS is kinda hacky since you end up running Linux
>> inside virtualbox, then launch docker on those VM's (at least I
>> believe that used to be the case if things have changed).  i also
>> feel like docker is a double edged sword (aside from the fact that it
>> locks you into linux) in that most people don't do a good job
>> tracking dependencies or actually apply updates/patches to base
>> docker images.
>>

> Looks like that that's no longer true and hasn't been true for the
> past 2 years:
>
> https://containerjournal.com/2016/08/15/docker-not-just-linux-anymore/
>
> But it also looks like something similar could have been achieved by
> replacing xhyve/Hyper-V with bhyve. If docker is open source then that
> shouldn't be a problem?

hrm, i guess the macOS install instructions are out of date:
https://docs.docker.com/docker-for-mac/install/
"VirtualBox prior to version 4.3.30 must NOT be installed (it is
incompatible with Docker Desktop for Mac). If you have a newer version
of VirtualBox installed, it’s fine."

-pete

--
Pete Wright