The status of docker

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Fri Feb 1 19:49:45 UTC 2019

On 2/1/19 11:39 AM, Grzegorz Junka wrote:
> On 31/01/2019 07:50, Mark Blackman wrote:
>> What problem are you trying to solve with docker?
>
> There is a misunderstanding. I am not trying to solve any problem. The
> team I am working with is using docker during development (by using a
> preconfigured container they avoid having to setup a complex backend
> system on development/CI machines). I was hoping to use FreeBSD during
> the development but it proved difficult. I now have a choice of either
> switching to Linux natively (as bhyve didn't help) or to use MacBook
> Pro - both supporting docker out of the box.

might be worth taking a look at hashicorp Vagrant.  i've used it with
success in developer workflows  in the past where most devs were on
macOS and we were targeting FreeBSD.

https://www.vagrantup.com/intro/index.html
https://app.vagrantup.com/freebsd/

IMHO docker on macOS is kinda hacky since you end up running Linux
inside virtualbox, then launch docker on those VM's (at least I believe
that used to be the case if things have changed).  i also feel like
docker is a double edged sword (aside from the fact that it locks you
into linux) in that most people don't do a good job tracking
dependencies or actually apply updates/patches to base docker images.

i feel like hashicorp did a pretty good in addressing the need to
simplify developer workflows between their workstations and eventual
target production environments, while also avoiding a lot of the issues
that docker has managed to create.

-pete

--
Pete Wright