How to setup graphical Linux vm in bhyve ? Continued from (Re: A question about VirtualBox USB support)

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 9 07:34:23 UTC 2018

On 01/09/18 01:08, Frank Leonhardt (m) wrote:
> In case you get no other answer...
>

> Virtual box is deprecated. I don't know why exactly. Bhyve is the recommend option. I prefer Xen. I think this is down to licensing rather than technical reasons.
>
> I gave up with USB on virtual box. There was no need. Just mount USB storage on BSD and make it available.
>
> I think it is just the case that no one ever wrote the stuff in the drivers.
>
> Regards, Frank

Hi Frank/others,

Bhyve has a whole section in my book, and I am very excited about bhyve.

But on FreeBSD 11.1, while I have managed to set up Windows 10 vm in
bhyve using the instructions at
https://www.ateamsystems.com/tech-blog/howto-windows-10-bhyve-w-freebsd-11/,
those same instructions fail miserably when applied to a graphical Linux
vm (tried Centos7 and Mint).

I get the following errors when I boot the vm after install:

Invalid boot device : cdrom
Invalid boot device : hard disk
Misc EFI device

1) FreeBSD's own bhyve wiki page seems out of date, oriented only for
console-mode Linux vm. Has anyone set up a graphical Linux vm in bhyve,
and could someone please tell me how to get around the errors above ?

2) bhyve seems to have no USB redirection support at the moment. Right ?

Thanks & Regards,
Manish Jain