Greetings from SmartOS

Patrick Mooney patrick.mooney at joyent.com
Thu Apr 26 05:12:49 UTC 2018

Hi folks,

I'm a member of the team at Joyent working to port bhyve to SmartOS
(and eventually illumos).  While illumos already has a port of
KVM/qemu, the design goals and community around bhyve appear to be a
much better match for us.  Like ZFS, DTrace, and most recently the BSD
loader, this seems to be an area where we can benefit through
collaboration.

Starting this autumn with the initial port Pluribus crafted in their
OpenSolaris fork, we've made good progress on pulling in trunk bhyve
from FreeBSD and integrating it into illumos-joyent.  Test results
have been positive and we're hoping to see it deployed in a wider
fashion soon.

Now that the project is stabilizing on our end, we would like to reach
out about upstreaming fixes or feature work back into FreeBSD.  One
small fix to posted interrupt handling on Intel
(https://smartos.org/bugview/OS-6829) might be a good starting point
for us to walk through the process of review and upstreaming.

Looking forward to working with you further,

- Patrick Mooney