Cannot install FreeBSD 12.0 on HP Compaq DC5850

Elena Mihailescu elenamihailescu22 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 18:17:30 UTC 2017

Hello!

I am currently working on Bhyve Save & Restore on AMD processors (for the
amd64 architecture), and I want to test my code on an AMD system.

I have a HP Compaq DC5850 system with the AMD Phenom X4 processor and I
want to install FreeBSD 12.0, amd64 version, but the install process hangs
after "Starting the BTX loader".

This is the output displayed on screen:

CD Loader 1.2

Building the boot loader arguments
Looking up /BOOT/LOADER... Found
Relocating the loader and the BTX
Starting the BTX loader

BTX loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.02

I verified the RAM sticks and they are OK.

I mention that the PC does not boot from USB with FreeBSD 12.0. Also, I
tried to boot from a HDD with FreeBSD 12.0 already installed, but it
doesn't work either.

Also, I mention that I can boot from a Ubuntu/XUbuntu LiveCD.

Does someone knows how I can fix this issue?

Elena