Issues with GTX960 on CentOS7 using bhyve PCI passthru (FreeBSD 11-RC2)

Rodney W. Grimes freebsd-rwg at pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net
Fri Jan 13 15:47:24 UTC 2017

> > > -    Performance State               : P0
> > > +    Performance State               : P8
> >
> >   Note sure what's happening here.
>
> Driver not kicking the card's BIOS into the right mode
> to switch to dynamic power state selection?

I suspect this is a failure to run the BIOS code that
enables the secondary power connector so you can come
out of slot only power mode.

> > > Jan 11 11:34:49 fbsd12tst kernel: nvidia-modeset: ERROR: GPU:0:
> > > Display engine push buffer channel allocation failed Jan 11 11:34:49
> > > fbsd12tst kernel: nvidia-modeset: ERROR: GPU:0: Failed to allocate
> > > display engine core DMA push buffer
> >
> >   Not sure what's happening with those.
> >
> >   Would it be possible to try the nouveau driver ? At least the source
> > is available, so it may be easier to determine what is broken.
>
> I could, but for now I'd like to focus more on AMD card
> (which also has an open-source driver).

The general rule on other platforms is that ATI/AMD cards tend to just
work, where as the NVidia cards are very picky and unless official listed
as known to work when passed through you well fight problems.  Very
few cards are listed as known to work, most populars being the Quadro
2000, and the Quadro FX3800.  Many cards are listed as known to NOT work.

GOOD WORK on getting as far as you have as quickly as you have!
Note that the https://wiki.freebsd.org/bhyve/pci_passthru has
had a small update to reflect we know that VGA passthrough is
not working at this time.  Also a note about AMD IOmmu/AMD-Vi
was added, hopefully saving someone from duplicate work.

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes at freebsd.org