Storage overhead on zvols

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Tue Dec 5 15:58:26 UTC 2017

Patrick M. Hausen wrote:
> I'm not an FS developer but from experience as an admin that
> feature - nullfs mounts into a hypervisor - while greatly desired,
> looks quite nontrivial to implement.

i think what's called for is a vdd of some kind, similar to the virtual
ethernet and virtual disk drivers. yes, it would appear in the guest at
the vfs layer. i'm surprised that the qemu community doesn't already
have it.

this is something virtualbox gets wrong, by the way. it offers something
that sounds like what i want, but then implements it as SMB.

don't get be wrong -- UFS and NFS work for me, and i love bhyve as-is.

--
P Vixie