Running FreeBSD docker images on non-FreeBSD hosts

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Wed Jun 1 16:31:22 UTC 2016

On 06/01/2016 09:04 AM, Jeff Terrell wrote:

> So it looks like, if I'm committed to docker, I could run FreeBSD
> inside a KVM inside a container on Linux. Then others who might be
> interested in FreeBSD could play around with it on their Linux hosts
> via docker.

why?!?

why put yourself and your co-workers through that much hell to test out
freebsd.  having worked on docker (and before that other linux jail-like
systems) i never understood the thought process that forces everyone to
try to fit all use-cases under one umbrella like this.

if you have some workflow that is totally docker depedent then just run
freebsd+docker and be done with it.  you'll have some linux docker
nodes, and some freebsd docker nodes and your on your way.

or as mentioned earlier - there are all sorts of para-virtualization
technologies that allow one to run freebsd ontop of a linux (or mac)
hypervisor.  the benefit with either of these approaches is that you
remove about 50 hoops and support headaches and probably learn a bit
more about how to manage heterogeneous environments along the way.

-pete

--
Pete Wright
pete at nomadlogic.org