ATTN Docker, Jetpack users (was: Re: Docker on FreeBSD)

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 30 05:40:54 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 9:36 AM, Clint Armstrong <clint at clintarmstrong.net>
wrote:

> I had to give up on Docker on FreeBSD because the latest versions of docker
> are now very dependent on netlink APIs for networking. The new network
> driver API for docker may allow creating a network driver for FreeBSD that
> would bypass that, but I haven't had a chance to look into it yet.
>
> I think good docker support is going to be dependent on newer Linux kernel
> emulation in FreeBSD if porters don't want to make a full time job of
> implementing workarounds with every docker update.

I completely understand that chasing Linux technologies from FreeBSD can be
a pain.
I hope that when you have time, and maybe when the churn in Docker slows
down a bit,
you manage to figure out a way to keep Docker
on FreeBSD going.  FreeBSD has had jails for many years,
and bhyve for a few years and these are both very solid and capable
technologies.

However, they don't have the buzz and integration with third party
workflows that Docker has.
For example, I've seen how GitLab uses Docker to spawn build nodes, and it
works really, really well.

It would be a shame to see FreeBSD be left in the dust on this.

--
Craig