[current] bhyve under VMware borked?

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Sat Nov 8 17:57:21 UTC 2014

Hi Marcel,

>> What version of VMWare and host are you using ?
>
> This is VMware Fusion 6.0.5 (2209127) running on Mac OS X 10.10.

  Ok, looks like the problem still exists in the wild :(

  Fusion 7 doesn't have this issue so there's always the upgrade option :)

> Ok. If we don't depend on PAT-related exits, then I definitely would
> appreciate preserving the -stable behaviour. Maybe we should not check
> for the PAT-related exists in the first place? I mean if we don't need
> them or depend on them to be there at all...

  bhyve does depend on h/w save/restore of the PAT MSR, and this is the
case for all bare metal that is supported.

  For the nested case, bhyve used to trap/emulate PAT MSR accesses and
not propagate them to the host. I'll look at resurrecting that code.

later,

Peter.