VIMAGE and VirtualBox networking question

Allan Jude allanjude at freebsd.org
Tue Nov 4 17:14:26 UTC 2014

On 11/04/2014 10:59, Nikos Vassiliadis wrote:
> Hi people:)
>
> I just tried to use VirtualBox on my system and I used the fastest way
> "pkg install" etc. My kernel is VIMAGE-enabled and I have had some
> instant reboots while trying to setup VirtualBox networking.
>
> I suppose I just have to build the module for a VIMAGE kernel, right?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Nikos

The problem is likely that the virtualbox kernel modules needs to be
exactly in sync with your kernel. The official pkgs build against the
oldest version of the supported branch (10.0), so the module will
probably not work on 10.1. Since you are compiling a custom kernel, you
should probably build VirtualBox from source to get an exactly matched
kernel module, and see if that solves your issues.

--
Allan Jude