Kernel Panic on FreeBSD guests with libvirt 1.2.2 and qemu 1.7.91

Juergen Lock nox at
Fri May 2 18:02:04 UTC 2014

In article <f946e633356b1161c0d43217f59893b9 at> you write:
>On 05/01/2014 11:00 am, Andre Goree wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I'm running libvirt 1.2.2 and QEMU 1.7.91 on an Ubuntu 12.04LTS host.
>> Prior to a recent upgrade, I've been able to run FreeBSD guests (both
>> 10.0 and 9.2) perfectly fine without issue.  Now, this the
>> aforementioned versions, I'm running into a kernel panic almost
>> immediately after booting, same message with both 10.0 & 9.2:  "Fatal
>> trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode".
>> To ensure that it had nothing to do with my configuration [of the
>> guest OS] I've tried installing the guest from guest using
>> virt-install, however I still run into the same kernel panic.  It'll
>> be hard for me to post the output of the panic, so I'll try to show as
>> much info as possible via images[1].
>> Upon researching, I've come across a few threads (e.g., this one[2])
>> that appear to be related, but none have helped.  Any information that
>> you can provide to help me get to the root of this issue would be
>> greatly appreciated!
>> [1]
>> [2]
>After using my noggin a bit, I've determine the culprit to be atkbd.  If
>I disable it via the bootloader with "set hint.atkbd.0.disabled=1", the
>vm will boot fine.  HOWEVER, my problem then is that I cannot use the
>keyboard via VNC.  I'm trying to figure out ways around this...any help
>would be much appreciated.  I've already tried setting different flags
>for atkbd, but no matter which flag I set, I get the kernel panic --
>ostensibly because atkbd is enabled (as it must be for a flag to be set
>for it).
I think you have hit this issue for which the workaround is a patch
to seabios:;a=commit;h=8032b8a0fec550de5cb2f7d37aa031cebc2200c3

 HTH, :)