Kernel Panic on FreeBSD guests with libvirt 1.2.2 and qemu 1.7.91

Andre Goree andre at drenet.net
Thu May 1 15:34:42 UTC 2014

On 05/01/2014 11:00 am, Andre Goree wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm running libvirt 1.2.2 and QEMU 1.7.91 on an Ubuntu 12.04LTS host.
> Prior to a recent upgrade, I've been able to run FreeBSD guests (both
> 10.0 and 9.2) perfectly fine without issue.  Now, this the
> aforementioned versions, I'm running into a kernel panic almost
> immediately after booting, same message with both 10.0 & 9.2:  "Fatal
> trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode".
>
> To ensure that it had nothing to do with my configuration [of the
> guest OS] I've tried installing the guest from guest using
> virt-install, however I still run into the same kernel panic.  It'll
> be hard for me to post the output of the panic, so I'll try to show as
> much info as possible via images[1].
>
> Upon researching, I've come across a few threads (e.g., this one[2])
> that appear to be related, but none have helped.  Any information that
> you can provide to help me get to the root of this issue would be
> greatly appreciated!
>
> [1]http://www.drenet.net/images/panic1.png
> http://www.drenet.net/images/panic2.png
> http://www.drenet.net/images/panic_noacpi1.png
> http://www.drenet.net/images/panic_noacpi2.png
>
> [2]http://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?t=36761

After using my noggin a bit, I've determine the culprit to be atkbd.  If
I disable it via the bootloader with "set hint.atkbd.0.disabled=1", the
vm will boot fine.  HOWEVER, my problem then is that I cannot use the
keyboard via VNC.  I'm trying to figure out ways around this...any help
would be much appreciated.  I've already tried setting different flags
for atkbd, but no matter which flag I set, I get the kernel panic --
ostensibly because atkbd is enabled (as it must be for a flag to be set
for it).

--
Andre Goree
Email     - andre at drenet.net