MAC addresses to use for BHyve VM's running under FreeBSD?

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at FreeBSD.org
Wed Feb 5 07:03:10 UTC 2014

Hi,

I am running many BHyve VM's and am using tap interfaces
with a single bridge.  I am configuring the IP addresses
of these VM's via DHCP.

I need to have separate MAC addresses for each VM.

Can anyone recommend a range of MAC addresses to use?

I seem to recall that at the 2013 FreeBSD Vendor Summit in
Sunnyvale, California, that George mentioned that
there might be a Organizational Unique Identifier (OUI) for the FreeBSD
project that we can use for BHyve VM's.  Is that right?

If not, can people recommend a range of addresses to use?

VMWare for example has an OUI of 00:50:56 (
http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-4-esxi-installable-vcenter/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.vsphere.esxi_server_config.doc_41/esx_server_config/advanced_networking/c_setting_up_mac_addresses.html)

I'd rather not use that range if I don't have to, since
I have a VMWare ESXi server running in the same network. :)

--
Craig