VirtualBox + FreeBSD 9-STABLE == Frozen Ethernet

Norbert Beckmann nb at informatik.uni-bremen.de
Mon May 6 21:49:32 UTC 2013

To Marc G. Fournier

I do not think it's an issue with VirtualBox. I am running VirtualBox
under Solaris. And I never had problems with it.
Guests: ubuntu, Windows 7, Linux Mint, FreeBSD, Chrome OS.
But the people of VirtualBox themselves state that Windows is somewhat
delicate (don't remember whether they meant as guest or as host, I think
both).
Which would be comprehensible, because Windows has never become a real
multi user / multi process system as Unix was by birth (nearly).
I can neither help concerning the freezing Ethernet nor did I encounter
similar things (as far as I remember).

But i avail myself of the opportunity of re-posting an issue with just
FreeBSD
and VirtualBox. Sorry!
I'm running FreeBSD 9.1 in VirtualBox. All is fine, but I cannot
run the Gnome Desktop, because the mouse in inoperable.
I already posted this problem on 03/03/13 and 03/04/13, but never got
an answer.
Here is a summary of my original posts again:

Environment:
(Host OS: Solaris 11.1)
VirtualBox 4.6.2 (r82870) [4.6.12 now]
Guest: FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE (#0 r243825)
Gnome 2.32
I did a fresh install of FreeBSD 9.1 in VirtualBox.
After capturing the mouse pointer on black screen, copy/paste works too.

Then I installed Gnome 2.32, following all the instructions at
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#full-gnome. (I compiled.)

Then I installed the guest additions, following all the instructions at
https://wiki.freebsd.org/VirtualBox, chapter "Installing Guest Additions
for FreeBSD guests". After the make, I called X -configure and moved a
modified copy to /etc/X11/xorg.conf as proposed, and performed all the
other things mentioned at that page.

Problem: Mouse is not operational in FreeBSD:
Gnome disabled and calling X, I get a black screen, the mouse pointer
disappears, and I also cannot capture it manually.
Gnome enabled, I get a proper gnome login screen after boot, the mouse
pointer is there, but does not affect something.

The movement and the position of the mouse pointer is even recognized
by the login screen and thus Gnome. This is obvious because these small
pop-ups like "Log in as .." appear when the mouse pointer moves over
them.
Hence, the sole functionality missing is the communication between Gnome
and the mouse buttons.

Extra attempts (no success / no harm):
in /etc/rc.conf: enabling hald, dbus, mouse.
in /usr/local/etc/hal/fdi/policy/ in addition to 90-vboxguest.fdi, adding
10-mouse-sysmouse.fdi from /usr/local/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor.

(both seemingly completely ok).

Any ideas?

Sorry for posting a question on a question, but after more than a month
of silence I'm daring it.

Norbert