VirtualBox + FreeBSD 9-STABLE == Frozen Ethernet

Zaphod Beeblebrox zbeeble at gmail.com
Mon May 6 19:43:25 UTC 2013

Heh.  VirtualBox has (in my experience) been buggy as heck.  Beyond buggy
as heck.

I have 3 virtualization platforms at my disposal (and the host here is win
7).  VirtualBox, VMWare and Windows Virtual PC.  I can report that under
VirtualBox, every major type of guest caused stability problems with the
host (Windows 7, Windows XP, FreeBSD, Linux).  Stability problems would
include crashing of the guest, crashing of the host, network bogons (from
interfaces resetting to interfaces hanging --- like yours).  I switched
various guests to VMWare (the free "player" version) and everything was
smooth.  Really smooth.  No problems running guests for _days_.  No
problems running multiple guests.

I don't use virtual PC much --- it runs XP mode ... just because that's
included with Windows 7... but it never causes problems either FWIW.

It seemed to me that every update after Sun passed to Oracle brought more
bugs.  My advice: run away from VirtualBox.