Howto setup virtualisation

Marko Zec zec at icir.org
Tue Dec 9 08:06:19 PST 2008

On Tuesday 09 December 2008 14:47:00 michael dürr wrote:
> Hallo list,
>
> I recently discovered the IMUNES toolkit and found me more than
> fascinated by its functionallity.
>
> Now I'd love to deploy the most recent version of vimage. I already
> came accross Marko's website (http://imunes.tel.fer.hr/virtnet/). As
> I don't want to use the VMware images, but install everything native,
> I set up a FreeBSD 7.0 system and tried to compile against the
> provided snapshots.
>
> As you can imagine, my build failed :-( . Although I'm not that
> familiar with FreeBSD, I tried hard to compile the snapshots (as well
> as the provided patch) against different tags... Without success.
>
> My question:
>
> Can you tell me a release/tag which I can download from the src tree
> which comliles and for which I can use the GUI tools? Or is there any
> other simple solution to get all this running?

Hi,

builing and running http://imunes.net/virtnet/vimage_7-20081015.tgz
on a 7.0-RELEASE or 7.1-PRERELEASE should be pretty straightforward:
just unpack the vimage_7 src tree; cd src/sys/i386/conf; config VIMAGE;
cd ../compile/VIMAGE; make depend; make; make install and you're done.
You'll also need to compile the vimage(8) utility -> cd
src/usr.sbin/vimage; make; make install -> done.  You'll most probably
want to upgrade your userland from 7.0-RELEASE to RELENG_7 or
RELENG_7_1 in order for the utilities like sockstat and netstat to work
properly - the simpler alternative would be doing the installation from
a recent 7.x snapshot ISO...

For the GUI, the latest version can be fetched from anoncvs:

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at cvs.imunes.net:/usr/local/src/cvsroot co
imunes

cd imunes; ./install.sh -> done

Note that you need to have tk-8.4 installed for the GUI to work, and
most probably you'll want quagga and or xorp as well (from ports).

Good luck,

Marko