access usb device from bhyve vm

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at getmail.no
Thu Aug 23 22:01:26 UTC 2018

On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 10:47:30 -0600
"John Hein" <jh-fbml at snkmail.com> wrote:

> My use case is more specific (and thus perhaps less of a lofty goal?).
> I want to access a usb-based fpga jtag programmer from a linux vm
> (specifically using a xilinx tool like "impact").

FWIW, (and unless you are looking for the full "iMPACT" experience) I have successfully programmed both Altera (now Intel) and Xilinx fpga's using
OpenOCD and 'jtag' (from UrJTAG) - both tools run native on FreeBSD.
xcs3prog alson run native on FreeBSD, but I haven't found a "cable" (aka JTAG adapter) that works with it yet.

My notes:
https://sites.google.com/site/tingox/fpga_openocd
https://sites.google.com/site/tingox/fpga_urjtag
https://sites.google.com/site/tingox/fpga_xc3sprog