Bose USB Audio No Playback

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Wed Feb 8 15:35:59 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 08 February 2012 00:59:12 Purushotham Nayak wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>

> When I just run usbconfig I get
> ugen0.2: <Bose USB Audio Bose Corporation> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST
> spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON
>
>  I ran,
> usbconfig -d ugen0.2  dump_device_desc dump_curr_config_desc
> I've attached the output with this e-mail.
>
> I pulled out the bose usb and ran
> sysctl hw.usb.uaudio.debug=15
> and then plugged back in and it's still the same in dmesg. It says No
> Playback.  Interesting my mouse stopped working when I did this.

Hi,

Try this command:

sysctl hw.usb.uaudio.default_channels=6

Then replug your device.

Does it work?

You can also set this in:

/boot/loader.conf

I think the problem is that that your device is having a lot of channels, and
should really be using High Speed USB. The device might not work correctly
when connected through a High Speed HUB. Connect it directly to your PC/MAC!

Reference:
/sys/dev/sound/usb/uaudio.c

                switch (usbd_get_speed(udev)) {
                case USB_SPEED_LOW:
                case USB_SPEED_FULL:
                        /*
                         * Due to high bandwidth usage and problems
                         * with HIGH-speed split transactions we
                         * disable surround setups on FULL-speed USB
                         * by default
                         */
                        channels = 2;
                        break;