[keyboard] ukbd stops working after filesystems mount at boot time

Travelling Particle 166162 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 12:14:02 UTC 2009

> Does this let you work around your problem too?
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=0+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2008/freebsd-mobile/20080309.freebsd-mobile

Haven't tried the patch, but I see what you mean. I had tested with
atkbd and kbdmux both disabled and having geli passphrase visible.
It appears that in 8.0-PRERELEASE (cvsuped Nov 23 2009, I think) the
original problem I had reported is gone: if I can get thru the
passphrase, the late stage continues fine and keyboard works at login
prompt without any problem. However, the keyboard works unreliably(*)
just before the late boot stage, at the moment when the geli
passphrase is expected. 8.0-RC3 behaved the opposite way: no problem
at the passphrase, but unusable console right after that.

(*) By working unreliably I mean that key presses are randomly
skipped. Sometimes you see keys pressed right after the first press,
sometimes it takes 3-4 times to repeat the press before the symbol
gets entered.

I have googled up that skipping key presses at the passphrase prompt
was reported since a long time ago. I see that it was somewhat fixed
in 8.0-RC3 with undesired side-effects. This leaves me wonder if the
keyboard can be fixed without breaking the console. I am willing to
help: if anyone needs debugging output or anything, just tell me what
I should do. USB keyboard is the only input device this computer has
(no PS/2 or serial port), so I' somewhat desperate.

> Chances are that unreliable key inputs at boot stage is not that
> usb specific, but I couldn't dig any deeper then...

I think it's usb-specific. What else would be responsible for dropping
input from the usb device?

Thanks.