Problem with USB4BSD on DesktopBSD 1.6 (i386)

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Wed Jan 16 11:29:00 PST 2008

On Wednesday 16 January 2008, Steve Anelay wrote:
> I installed this driver today using the svn sources because I was unable
> to access any usb thumb drives.  After inserting a drive this is the
> message in dmesg | tail
>
> uhub1: device problem (SHORT_XFER), disabling port 4
>
> USB4BSD solved this problem.  I can now mount my card reader and any of
> the three usb sticks I own, and by moving to the directory where they're
> mounted I can also see the contents. However, as soon as I try to open a
> file on the disk, copy files across to my system, or write to the device
> my system freezes. I've tried manually mounting and the same thing
> happens. I've also noticed that the mounting process for these devices
> takes 5-10 seconds, and sometimes as long as 30 seconds.
>
> For information the system is installed on the following:
>
> AMD 64 3800+ (single core), 3GB RAM, Nvidia 6600GT, 3xSATA hard drives,
> PS2 mouse and keyboard, MSI K8 Neo4 Platinum motherboard (with latest
> bios, nforce4 chipset)

Hi,

The following sysctl will enable debugging:

sysctl hw.usb.umass.debug=-1

Have you tried loading "atausb" instead of "umass" ?

Also try to cat the complete disk and see where it stops.

dd if=/dev/da0 of=/dev/null bs=131072

BTW: I'm sorry to say that if you stress certain kinds of memory sticks they
will simply stop working due to poor software design inside the meory stick
itself. It is usually a problem of the memory stick manufacturer.

However there is a way to nice/throttle USB transfers now! And maybe it is an
idea to try that.

How fast are your memory sticks?