Problem with USB4BSD on DesktopBSD 1.6 (i386)

Steve Anelay steve at anelay.net
Wed Jan 16 10:55:05 PST 2008

I installed this driver today using the svn sources because I was unable
to access any usb thumb drives.  After inserting a drive this is the
message in dmesg | tail

uhub1: device problem (SHORT_XFER), disabling port 4

USB4BSD solved this problem.  I can now mount my card reader and any of
the three usb sticks I own, and by moving to the directory where they're
mounted I can also see the contents. However, as soon as I try to open a
file on the disk, copy files across to my system, or write to the device
my system freezes. I've tried manually mounting and the same thing
happens. I've also noticed that the mounting process for these devices
takes 5-10 seconds, and sometimes as long as 30 seconds.

For information the system is installed on the following:

AMD 64 3800+ (single core), 3GB RAM, Nvidia 6600GT, 3xSATA hard drives,
PS2 mouse and keyboard, MSI K8 Neo4 Platinum motherboard (with latest
bios, nforce4 chipset)

Steve