How do I use my USB headset?

Ariff Abdullah ariff at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 11 11:39:29 PDT 2007

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 20:24:44 +0200 (CEST)
Andreas Davour <ante at Update.UU.SE> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Julian Elischer wrote:
>
> > Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> If you are not using FreeBSD-7 current, something like the
> >following might  > do the trick:
> >>
> >> rm /dev/dsp0
> >> ln -s /dev/dsp1 /dev/dsp0
> >>
> >> Although that means you will loose access to /dev/dsp0 .
> >
> > back when I used skype on BSD it was a linux binary,
> > which means it was looking in /compat/linux/dev
> >
> > you need to have the correct symlinks in there..
>
> I didn't think that the fact it was a linux binary could cause
> michief,  but of course that's a prime suspect for troubles.
> Strangely enough I  didn't even have a /dev folder under
> /compat/linux !
>
> /dev/dsp1: Device or resource busy is the response I get from Skype,
> and  oddly enough the only device I can choose from now is /dev/dsp1
> so maybe  the port maintainger managed to patch Skype to look in the
> right place  after all. Still no response from either program
> though, the microphone  is not working. :(

Are you really sure the microphone is working in the first place?

Full duplex capabilities are largely improved with FreeBSD 7.x and
beyond, or you might want to try these binary modules for 6.x:

http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/BINARY_MODULES/

--
Ariff Abdullah
FreeBSD

... Recording in stereo is obviously too advanced
    and confusing for us idiot ***** users :P ........