umass/cam headaches

Ulrich Spoerlein uspoerlein at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 09:28:52 UTC 2007

Sorry for the late reply ...

On Fri, 06.07.2007 at 16:44:55 -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> Ulrich Spoerlein <uspoerlein at gmail.com> writes:
> : Are there good OpenBSD or NetBSD Live CDs out there? I already confirmed
> : that the drive is working fine under Windows and Linux, so testing under
> : other BSDs would be the next step.
>
> Chances are good that it needs some kind of quirk to make it work
> right.

It's not so easy, I think. To recap:
Attaching the device via umass(4)/cd(4) I can read CDs and burned DVDs
just fine. Retail DVDs (both video and data) dont even support ioctl,
even geom_label fails to read the device label.

The same can be said about the sbp(4)/cd(4) combo. Burned DVDs and all
kinds of CDs work fine. No retail DVDs however.

Using atausb(4)/acd(4) I can successfully read retail _data_ DVDs but
still have trouble reading video DVDs. But hey, even diskinfo(1) works
on those media, so acd(4) is *way* better than cd(4) in that regard.

Upon attaching I get some CSW errors though (data DVD):
kernel: atausb0 on uhub3
kernel: atausb0: using ATAPI over Bulk-Only
kernel: ata2: <USB lun 0> on atausb0
kernel: atausb0: cannot get CSW, STALLED, retry
kernel: atausb0: clear endpoint 0x81 stall
kernel: acd1: DEVICE_RESET unsupported
kernel: atausb0: data read count 34 failed: STALLED
kernel: atausb0: clear endpoint 0x81 stall
kernel: atausb0: CSWSTATUS_FAILED
kernel: acd1: DVDR <DVDR PX-755A/1.06> at ata2-master USB2
kernel: GEOM_LABEL: Label for provider acd1 is iso9660/CHIP_DVD_0507.

Trying to read a video DVD results in 0 bytes being read and lots of
these errors flying by:
kernel: atausb0: data read count 63488 failed: STALLED
kernel: atausb0: clear endpoint 0x81 stall
kernel: atausb0: CSWSTATUS_FAILED
kernel: acd1: FAILURE - READ_BIG ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x6f ascq=0x03
kernel: atausb0: data read count 4096 failed: STALLED
kernel: atausb0: clear endpoint 0x81 stall
kernel: atausb0: CSWSTATUS_FAILED
kernel: acd1: FAILURE - READ_BIG ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x6f ascq=0x03
kernel: atausb0: data read count 63488 failed: STALLED
kernel: atausb0: clear endpoint 0x81 stall
kernel: atausb0: CSWSTATUS_FAILED
kernel: acd1: FAILURE - READ_BIG ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x6f ascq=0x03

Using mplayer(1) to open the video DVD I only get this one, which looks
suspicous (off-by-one bug?)
kernel: atausb0: cannot get CSW, TIMEOUT, retry
kernel: atausb0: clear endpoint 0x81 stall
kernel: atausb0: cannot get CSW, TIMEOUT
kernel: atausb0: Bulk Reset
kernel: atausb0: clear endpoint 0x81 stall
kernel: atausb0: clear endpoint 0x02 stall
kernel: atausb0: bad CSW tag 72273 != 72274
kernel: atausb0: Bulk Reset
kernel: atausb0: clear endpoint 0x81 stall
kernel: atausb0: clear endpoint 0x02 stall

Cheers,
Ulrich Spoerlein
--
"The trouble with the dictionary is you have to know how the word is
spelled before you can look it up to see how it is spelled."