Phabricator review for Pootle 2.7.2 available

Benedict Reuschling benedict at reuschling.org
Wed Mar 23 21:57:06 UTC 2016

Am 23.03.16 um 22:08 schrieb René Ladan:

>>> I set up a test instance of Pootle 2.7.2 on my server on port 8000
>>> using the 'pip' method as described on
>>>
>>> http://docs.translatehouse.org/projects/pootle/en/latest/server/installation.html
>>>
>>> For now this is only available locally as it is probably insecure and
>>> not hooked up to a sub-domain of rene-ladan.nl yet.
>>> Although the instructions are a bit Linux-centric, the 'pip'
>>> installation was not that hard, no modifications other than to
>>> pootle.conf were necessary.
>>>
>>> The next steps will be running some tests and see if the port needs
>>> changes (I remember some tests failing, but maybe that happens with
>>> the 'pip' installation too).
>>> After that, deploy it on the cluster?
>>

>> This is excellent work!  We have Pootle as one of our topics to discuss at
>> the doc working group at BSDCan in June.  My remaining questions with it are
>> mostly about how it would be integrated with our existing doc structure.
>> Can we add it as an option but still allow translators to use local PO
>> editors if they wish?
>>
> We could set it up as a new service, e.g., https://pootle.freebsd.org/
> , so translators can use it if they wish.

That would be the domain name of my choice, if I can choose.

> Pootle has an option to download the current translation into a PO
> file for offline editing.

Excellent, that leaves the option open for translators to use it offline.

> I tweaked my pip-based setup a bit, mostly the e-mail fields in
> pootle.conf which silences some warnings.
> Things left to do:
> - run RQ workers as a background service

What are those and what do they do?

> - run the server instance securely
> - use real passwords, think about e-mail settings (using my own gmail
> account might not be the best?)
> - deploy publicly?

Those sound like a job for the clusteradm folks. They know the
infrastructure and may also know things we did not think of.

Another thing we need to figure out before deploying it is the actual
workflow. Kris Moore told me multiple times that Pootle needs to be
scripted when new/updated translations arrive. Pootle does not handle
that very well or even not at all. We need to find out what a typical
workflow would look like internally (behind the scenes) and whether a
script can do all that work or if we need some separate steps.

Other than that, I will be thrilled to see a FreeBSD Pootle server
happening.

Thanks for the work so far!

Benedict