Introduction

Remko Lodder remko at FreeBSD.org
Sat Dec 13 22:59:43 UTC 2014

> On 13 Dec 2014, at 23:48, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
>
> I'm a FreeBSD documentation committer, and my interest in translation is to help make the translation process easier.  Translators and translated documentation is often the first encounter people will have with a project like FreeBSD.  Our translation processes have not kept up with the quantity of our documentation.  Fixing that would make translating much less work, and allow us to lower the barrier to entry for volunteer translators.  At the same time, it would simplify editing documentation for English speakers.
>
> During the Developer Summit at BSDCan 2014, Benedict Reuschling presented an approach to this using existing tools for the PO/gettext translation system used by many other projects:
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/201405DevSummit/Translation
>
> Personally, I only speak English, but would still like to make it easier for others to translate our documentation.

I’ll chime in as well. I am another FreeBSD Documentation Committer (amongst others). I am (with rene@) the main translator for the Dutch Documentation Project. We are one of the projects that are affected by the high rate of english updates, which makes us unable to properly follow.

Having an easier system to do translations would make us capable of keeping it up to date even better then we did in the past.

My languages are mainly Dutch and English, but I can read German as well :-)

cheers
Remko

--
/"\   Best regards,                      | remko at FreeBSD.org
\ /   Remko Lodder                       | remko at EFnet