Introduction

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sat Dec 13 22:48:36 UTC 2014

I'm a FreeBSD documentation committer, and my interest in translation is
to help make the translation process easier.  Translators and translated
documentation is often the first encounter people will have with a
project like FreeBSD.  Our translation processes have not kept up with
the quantity of our documentation.  Fixing that would make translating
much less work, and allow us to lower the barrier to entry for volunteer
translators.  At the same time, it would simplify editing documentation
for English speakers.

During the Developer Summit at BSDCan 2014, Benedict Reuschling
presented an approach to this using existing tools for the PO/gettext
translation system used by many other projects:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/201405DevSummit/Translation

Personally, I only speak English, but would still like to make it easier
for others to translate our documentation.