Meta mode toolchain bootstrapping [was Re: FreeBSD targets/ out-of-date]

Simon J. Gerraty sjg at juniper.net
Fri Nov 13 21:53:02 UTC 2015

Bryan Drewery <bdrewery at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> >> Yes, it's a step. We'll need cookies in a lot of places too. I wish
> >> WITH_META_MODE had been WITH_META_BUILD or WITH_DIRDEPS_BUILD so I could
> >
> > WITH_DIRDEPS_BUILD would be more accurate.
> >
> > Its not too late to rename/add it.
>
> My hesitation was really only due to all of the documentation and

The diff is pretty small actually - only 8 files affected.
I suspect renaming tools/build/options/WITH_META_{FILES,MODE} might need
to be done in a couple of steps?

At least svn diff cannot correctly represent

svn mv WITH_META_MODE WITH_DIRDEPS_BUILD
svn mv WITH_META_FIES WITH_META_MODE

> > I think I mentioned the otherday of having something like:
> >
> > .if ${MK_META_MODE} == "yes"
> > # we can safely use cookies to avoid always
> > # re-running targets.
> > META_COOKIE_TOUCH= touch ${COOKIE.${.TARGET}:U${.TARGET}}
> > .else
> > META_COOKIE_TOUCH=
> > .endif
> >
> > in meta.sys.mk so you could just add ${META_COOKIE_TOUCH}
> > to the end of suitable targets.
>
> Great, thanks. Definitely will be useful.

Better name welcome
Also this probably wants to go somewhere other than meta.sys.mk
not needed during sys.mk anyway.